The art of readiness in our followers

Written by Stuart Haden on July 15, 2014

Too many leaders and coaches are focussing their development in the wrong area, as much as 50% of the time. You might be familiar with the following story but this really sums up our obsession with the wrong person…

A policeman sees a drunk man searching for something under a streetlight and asks what the drunk has lost. He says he lost his keys, and they both look under the streetlight together. After a few minutes the policeman asks if he is sure he lost them here, and the drunk replies, no, that he lost them in the park. The policeman asks why he is searching here, and the drunk replies, ‘this is where the light is.’

In this short video I prove my case in point. 100% of workshop participants were looking to develop their leadership skills. Yet when I explored their challenges only 20% of the group had a match. The other 80% were expressing concerns about their teams ability to follow. What you put in is what you get out, so if you want readiness in your team, suspend your own leadership journey (get out of the way!) for a moment and focus on others.

If you want more information in this area check out my first online courseThe Art of Leadership & Coaching that has over 6 hours worth of content.